Even though I was [and I still am] a huge fan of Popeye the Sailor, I loved just him and not his favorite spinach.Growing up and tasting and cooking with several ingredients has changed my views on vegetables and mom does not have to force me to have these nutrient stuffs,but its my turn now to get my Lil one eat some greens and vegetables.
I too follow mom's footsteps now.Its a lot easier to get veggies in when they are artfully hidden in some unsuspecting dish.When I was paired with Nupur of UK Rasoi,I wanted to try out something with vegetables or something for breakfast that Lil one would enjoy. I hit the jackpot when I found this recipe that uses spinach and is also an ideal breakfast!
Spinach used here is barely noticeable but still imparts it goodness to the dish.Dal and rice combo is the best vegetarian source of complete protein and with the ghee to top it up, the flavor was excellent.
Simple Palak Kichdi
Recipe source :UK Rasoi
Rice- 1/2 cup
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Tomato- 1 large, chopped
Palak - 1 small bunch,chopped
Red chilli powder -1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder -a pinch
Green chillis- 2,slit
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Ghee- 1 tablespoon + extra to drizzle while serving
- Wash and soak the rice and pulses for 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker and put in the ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds and when it crackles, add tomato and green chilli. Cook till the tomato is mushy.
- Put in the chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook for minutes.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring to boil.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, add spinach,rice-lentils mixture, salt and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 15 minutes or till done.
- When the pressure releases, mix well and serve hot drizzled with ghee.
We had this with grilled pappad...
- Adjust the ratio of rice-lentil :water. I use 1:2 ratio for rice.Added more to make the dish a little mushy.
- The kichdi was a little bland.I will add a little more red chilli powder / green chillis the next time I make this dish.
I had fun browsing through Nupur's UK Rasoi for Blog Hop Wednesday, an event organized by Radhika . Nupur has delicious dishes with beautiful clicks.Do check them out....