Coming to today's post,this recipe is from Priya's Blog which is being featured in this months edition of Tried and Tasted hosted here.I just made a small change.I used tamarind extract of lemon juice.
Very simple and flavorful rasam to go with piping hot steamed rice topped with a dollop of ghee..
Spicy Moondhal Rasam
Source - Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes
I used :
Moong dhal- 1/4 cup
Ginger - 1" piece
Green chillies -2
Tomato - 1
Pepper powder- 1/2 a teaspoon
Roasted cumin powder- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Tamarind extract -1 tablespoon,diluted in a cup of water
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Pressure cook moongdhal, grated ginger , finely chopped ginger, roughly chopped tomato with enough water[ around 1 cup ] for 10 minutes or till the dhal is mushy.
- When the pressure releases and the dhal is cool enough to handle,mash well with your fingersand keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard, cumin, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
- When it splutters add the tamarind extract and bring to boil.
- After 3 minutes add the moong dhal mixture , pepper powder , cumin powder, salt.Mix well
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.