What difference you may ask.The taste!Blame it on the super fine rice variety we get in the orient,the non availability of idli rice,maybe because I use the mixie instead of grinding the batter in a wet grinder.Then in winter its almost impossible to make the batter rise.So one or more of these factors contribute to the lack of taste.So a search for a different dish begins.
But things change when I go back to India.Super soft and fluffy idli and crispy dosa are always welcome,atleast till you are bored of having indulged in them for too long.Then the search of some other breakfast dish begins,yet again.
Lil Angel who is fond of crispy dosas too turns her face against it.I know there was no way to coax her into eating it.Then I think of some difference / addition that would make her change her mind.I remembered eating this paneer roast in some restaurant somewhere[!].I crossed my finger when I served this mini dosa to Lil angel and she was thrilled.Thank Heavens for my success in making her eat.
When in India I make this with paneer,in the orient where the farmers market is flooded with fresh tofu ,panner is replaced with Tofu.Either way they are nutritious additions to the meal...
Now to the recipe,first we need to make the filling / masala.It is somewhat similar to the Tofu bhurji yet , I am writing it here.
For the filling I used:
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder-1 teaspoon
Curry leaves -a few
Salt to taste
- Crumble tofu.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in mustard,cumin and curry leaves.
- When the mustard pops,put in onion and saute till it turns translucent.
- Put in tomato and cook till soft.
- Add chilli powder,salt,tofu and mix well and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
Rice -5 cups
Urad dhal [White, Whole] – 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons.
Salt – to taste
1. Soak rice and urad dhal and fenugreek in 2 separate containers for at least 5-6 hours.
2. Rinse and drain the water and grind the urad dhal + fenugreek first adding little water to a fine paste.
3. Dish it out.
4. Grind rice with a little water to a smooth paste.
5. Dish it out into the urad dhal paste and mix well adding salt.
6. Let it ferment for 5 hours or till it rises.
7. Mix again and check for consistency.If it too thick add a little water.
To assemble,prepare dosa and when both sides are cooked,spread a little filling on one half of the dosa.Fold and flip.Cook for a couple of seconds and serve hot with chutney / sambar.
We had Tofu Uthappam.Similar to most of the uthappams,pour a large ladle ful batter on a heated griddle.When the edges leave the griddle spread the tofu mixture on the surface of the uncooked face of the uthappam.Sprinkle Milagai Podi or Flax seed chutney powder.Pat gently.Slowly flip it over so that the other side gets cooked.Wait for a minute and remoce from heat and serve hot .
Take a closer look..Spongy thappam with tofu and spicy powder when savored with Sambar and chutney is for sure-Bliss!!!
This is off to my event Tasty Tofu Treats hosted here...